About The Gathering Place
Founded in 1986, The Gathering Place is the only daytime drop-in center in metropolitan Denver that serves women, their children, and transgender individuals who are experiencing poverty, many of whom are also experiencing homelessness. While we refer to those we serve as "members," no fees are ever charged for programs or services.
We believe deeply in the power of our community and continually work to make it stronger. Our key values include recognizing individual strengths, building respect and trust, and offering unconditional acceptance.
We are a community of safety and hope where positive relationships, choice, and essential resources transform lives.
In 2016, The Gathering Place:
- Recorded 61,744 total visits
- Served 5,986 adults and 1,952 children
- Provided 65,544 nutritious meals
- Distributed 62,963 pounds of food from Betsy's Cupboard
- Housed 28 individuals; 21 individuals stayed housed for at least 6 months
- Distributed 2,367 toiletry kits
- Provided 17,060 diapers
- Tutored 112 students in our education program
- Enabled 2 students to earn high school equivalency degrees
- Provided computer lab access to 1,165 members
- Facilitated 524 medical screenings
- Provided $25,000 in earned income for members from the Card Project and Art Restart
- Received 15,000 hours of volunteer support